Room 101, Administration Building
I. CALL TO ORDER
Dr. Anderson, vice president for academic affairs, called a regular meeting of the Academic Affairs Council to order at 9:00 a.m.
II. ROLL CALL
Members Present: Duane C. Anderson, Dennis Boe, Bob Feighner, Kurt Jackson, Carlotta Lockmiller, Linda Mitchusson, Bill Osborne, Jack Paschall, Charles Perry, Shirley Talley, Alvin Turner, C. J. Vires, Bruce Weems.
Members absent: Nancy Thomason
Also Present: Holly Sewell, John Cochran, Shelley Ross
Recorder: Marilyn Cole
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes of May 8, 2001, for the Academic Affairs Council were approved as presented.
IV. PURCHASING UPDATE - MS. SHELLEY ROSS
Ms. Ross advised that the Purchasing Office is making changes in an effort to move away from a paper-driven office. Beginning July 1, all requisitions must be typewritten. The forms are available in an Excel formet for those who wish. E-reqs will also be available. There will be training for those people who are actually intering the requisitions. Invoices will no longer be kept in the Purchasing Office. They will be sent to Accounting.
There are 85 active Pro Cards. There have been several questions regarding the cards and there has not been a total campus-wide move to usage of the cards.
V. VPAA AGENDA
COI Meeting, May 10, 2001
There was discussion about continuing work as a system with Tinker AFB in developing programs that meet manpower needs. The EHS program may eventually proposed. Had another discussion about the ACE equivalency project for the Vo-Techs.
Technology Update - Phil Moss has indicated that the State System is now part of Internet II.
November 2 is the Retention Conference to be held at Rose State College.
A 2+2 articulation agreement is being worked out between the state system and the Viet Nam National University. They are mostly interested in technology programs. Each university will sign a separate articulation agreement with the Viet Nam National University.
COI Meeting, June 14, 2001
There are 4 new members with only one 2-year member - Seminole State College.
Each of the faculty groups that haven't met in awhile will be called back to meet in the fall.
ACE sent an independent team in who went back in and looked at how the previous project was handled. They found that the ACE guidelines were not followed in the original project.
In July the VP's of the institutions with teacher education programs will meet with Cindy Ross and talk about the institutions that have recently had NCATE visits.
Brice Fair spoke about the Legislature this session and higher education's budget.
20 - ACT
June 15 - Faculty Load Reports were due
July 2 - Final fall schedule is due
July 4 - Holiday
Move AAC Date
AAC is scheduled to meet July 10, but will meet July 17.
The Rothbaum Lecture will be June 28 at 7:00 p.m.
Summer School Enrollment
Summer school enrollment was down - FTE about 1.4 and Headcount about 6.4.
Fall Enrollment Status
Had a pretty good freshman enrollment so far. Going to be down in the fall. The beginning freshman enrollment for the past two years has been unusual. We are not seeing that this year. PLC was down 50. The number of students being tested for skills deficiencies is higher.
The schedules for summer need to be posted. Copies should be sent to the police department and the office of Academic Affairs.
Program Review Schedule 2001-2002
Dr. Anderson distributed the schedule in the packets.
Revised Fall and Tentative Spring Schedule
The revised fall and tentative spring schedules are due to the office of Academic Affairs July 2, 2001.
Scholarship Examples for NCA Resource Room
Examples of faculty and student scholarship should be displayed in the Resource Room. The McNair Scholars posters will be saved and put up. If anyone else has samples that could be used, we need them. For examples of faculty scholarship, books, publications, etc, for the last 8-10 years would be appropriate.
ECU Organizational Chart
Copies distributed in packets
Continuing Education Organizational Chart
Copies distributed in packets.
1. Summer salaries - we will be calling to confirm
2. Will be scheduling end-of-year-review with everyone over the next three weeks. Will generally look at the year just finished and go through some of the unique parts of the budgets as approved.
3. Deans need to go through the fall schedule and change all references to "departed" to either new faculty or staff.
4. Summer School syllabi - some have come in and some have not.
5. June 25 there will be a learning session on OneNet, distance learning, etc. Alvin Turner, Richard Baumgartner, Bruce Weems, Elizabeth Schmelling, Bill Osborne, the new education department chair, the business dean, Jack Paschall and Stanley Nnochirionye should plan to attend.
6. Dr. Joe Catalano will be the chair of the Academic Committee. All forms submitted to the Academic Committee must be typed.
7. Deans should collect the Faculty Handbooks from the faculty who are leaving or have left.
VI. AVPAA AGENDA
The Freshman Rally will be August 19 at 6:00 p.m. The format will be a little more relaxed. The food will be hotdogs.
Requests for Summer Evaluations are due July 11.
The six students who will be called the ECU Ambassadors have been selected. They will host on-campus activities and serve off-campus as speakers and recruitment symbols. They will help at the Freshman Rally. They have had a training session where they were taught the history of ECU and how to properly represent the University.
New Faculty Seminar I
The New Faculty Seminar I will be August 15 in the North Lounge.
VII. UNIT REPORTS
School of Graduate Studies-Dr. Jack PaschallVIII. OLD BUSINESS
Nothing to report.
Linscheid Library-Dr. Charles Perry
Topics of the month - botany, marriage counseling, killer whales and theology. Gena Kelly will replace Donna Wood as catalog assistant.
Computer Services-Mr. Bob Feighner
Grades and schedules are online. Wiring continues. Fee increases should be recalculated this weekend.
Assessment and Institutional Research Center-Dr. Kurt Jackson
Completed two surveys during the spring semester. Had 690 responses to the Student Opinion Surveys and 160 responses to the Alumni Survey.
Faculty Senate - Dr. Dennis Boe
The Faculty Senate has seven new members. The new committee assignments will go to Martha in the next two weeks. Need to know if any faculty have resigned in the last month or two. There has been a lot of talk about service learning. The Faculty Senate has presented a resolution asking that the Regents have the Grants Office fund training on individual campuses.
NCA Self-Study Coordinator-Dr. Carlotta Lockmiller
Brad Jessop has drawn a nice cover design for the self study document - a rendering of the new library. There is a student working working cataloging the Resource Room. The site team has a question about who is chairing the team. The Self Study is in its final stages of editing, formatting, etc. The Steering Committee needs to go over it a final time.
Registrar-Ms. Pamla Armstrong
Nothing to report
Continuing Education and Community Services Center-Dr. John Cochran for Ms. Nancy Thomason
The summer programs are in session. A group of 15 students is on campus through the OSDE Transition Grant. The kids are having a good experience.
Grants and Research Information Center-Mr. C. J. Vires
Distributed a printout depicting Historical Funding. Current funding is $8.3 million.
School of Humanities and Social Sciences-Dr. Alvin Turner
Returned Sunday evening from a field trip Geography and history presented.
School of Mathematics and Sciences-Dr. Bruce Weems
Have about 5-6 grants going on this summer.
School of Education and Psychology-Dr. Bill Osborne
Dr. Anderson announced that effective July 1, Dr. Osborne would become the Dean of the School of Education and Psychology.
Dr. Osborne shared that the Alternative Certification Bill did pass, affecting Secondary and Special Ed. From now on, OSBI and FBI checks will be made on people who apply for teaching certificates. In the Alternative Certification Bill, one element allows for alternative certification people to not take the professional education test in the beginning. They must take it sometime during the first three years. Title II says that we must report all students who have taken all three tests. Two new faculty members have been hired - Yvonne Bedford and Usha Fountain.
School of Business-Dr. Linda Mitchusson
Had attended the SBDC Conference on taxation and depreciation.
1. Budgets for 2001-2002
The spreadsheets will be updated soon. The part time and overload rates have changed. They will be more difficult to calculate. There will be about four different rates - grads, undergrads, off campus or on campus. The change does not apply to this summer.2. Research Day at UCO, November 9, 2001.
We should be getting the application packets from UCO soon.3. Fall 2001 - Syllabi
Syllabi must be submitted using the revised format.4. Night General Education Schedule
There were two errors which need to be addressed.5. Grades Online - Problems and Issues
The availability of on-line grade reports created a problem last spring. We need to review this matter and decide what to do before the end of summer school.IX. NEW BUSINESS
1. The AAC Planning Meeting will be August 13-14 in the Aquaticus Room at the OKC Zoo. The travel should be charged to individual budgets.X. ADJOURN
2. The annual reports are due June 29, 2001.
3. Dr. Cole reviewed the budget status. We are getting a fairly good budget in place. Part I E & G will be almost $26.5 million. Overall we have almost $500,000 in new state money. The tuition increase is projected to be about $315,000.
The NCA Self Study is 99% finished. It has been very beneficial, causing us to look closely at our strengths and challenges. We are now in the position to dominate nursing in the southeastern part of the state because of our collatorative effort with SEOSU. We are also collaborating with Cameron on the MBA program.
The Grants Office has done a remarkable job again. The E & G Part II consists of the grants that Continuing Ed and the faculty and staff have put together. No other institution has the success rate that we do.
We are working on a housing project. In the process of doing a residential housing project in conjunction with Capstone, a housing project that is privately owned, but built on university property. There will be rooms for 264 students. 2/3 would be 2 bedroom with the rest 4 bedrooms.
There being no further
business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:12 p.m.
Vice President for Academic Affairs